Seamless Geometric Pattern – Illustrator tutorial
Seamless Geometric Pattern
This is a tutorial on how to create a seamless pattern using a basic geometric shape in Adobe Illustrator. We will first create a simple element and then convert it to a seamless pattern using Adobe’s inbuilt pattern maker tool.
Pin it for later!
Colors used in this tutorial:
#38D0F2 #0583F2 #0468BF
#FFF38B #FFCB05 #F2B134 #233D4D
- Click on the polygon tool and make a polygon of any size
- Increase the stroke thickness to desired size
- Click on Object>path>Outline Stroke and convert it to a shape
- Click on line segment tool and draw line segments to make 3 equal parts on the hexagon
- Select everything and click on Pathfinder > divide to divide the hexagon
- Ungroup using Shift+Cmd/Ctrl G
- Color each part with colors #38D0F2 #0583F2 #0468BF
- Copy and arrange to form the base design
- Delete the excess shapes
- Create a hexagon of the same size and assign the color #233D4D
- Send to back of the artwork Shift+Cmd/Ctrl [
- Create another hexagon and use line segments to cut into 3 parts
- Use Pathfinder >Divide to cut the hexagon and assign the colors #FFF38B #FFCB05 #F2B134
- Place it on the base design and use Cmd/Ctrl [ to send one step back, keep pressing the key until it sits in the position it’s intended to sit at
- Group everything together with Cmd/Ctrl G
- Go to Object > Pattern Make
- Select brick by row and adjust to form a seamless pattern
- Click Done once you are happy with the pattern
If you like Seamless patterns, make sure to checkout more pattern making tutorials!
Watch the Video tutorial here:
If you cannot view the video, you can find it here.
While you are there, don’t forget to hit subscribe!